Top Ten Tuesday – 10 Witchy Reads for Your Spooky Season TBR
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!
This week’s TTT topic is actually supposed to be Favorite Book Settings. I’ve done similar topics a few times and couldn’t think of any book settings I hadn’t already covered, so I thought it would be fun to go rogue and share some of the latest witchy reads that have come out in 2021. I know not everyone enjoys scary books for spooky season, so I’m hoping I’ve found enough of a variety of titles that everyone can find something they enjoy.
10 Witchy Reads for Your Spooky Season TBR
1. THE ORPHAN WITCH by Paige Crutcher – “Mystical, magical, and wildly original, THE ORPHAN WITCH is a great story from an exciting new voice in fantasy. Persephone May is a witch for the ages, a tough, uncompromising, powerful time walker with a wicked gaze and a heart of gold. Her journey to find her family and herself and the lost witches of Wile Ilse is both rollicking adventure and intimate exploration. If Alice Hoffman and Sara Addison Allen had a witchy love child, she would be Paige Crutcher. Do not miss this beautifully realized debut!”— JT Ellison, New York Times bestselling author of HER DARK LIES
2. PAYBACK’S A WITCH by Lana Harper – Chilling Adventures of Sabrina meets The L Word in this fresh, sizzling rom-com by Lana Harper.
3. THE BOOK OF MAGIC by Alice Hoffman – Master storyteller Alice Hoffman brings us the conclusion of the Practical Magic series in a spellbinding and enchanting final Owens novel brimming with lyric beauty and vivid characters. The Book of Magic is a breathtaking conclusion that celebrates mothers and daughters, sisters and brothers, and anyone who has ever been in love.
4. THE NATURE OF WITCHES by Rachel Griffin – Practical Magic meets Twister in this debut contemporary fantasy standalone about heartbreaking power, the terror of our collapsing atmosphere, and the ways we unknowingly change our fate.
5. THE EX HEX by Erin Sterling – New York Times bestselling author Rachel Hawkins, writing as Erin Sterling, casts a spell with a spine-tingling romance full of wishes, witches, and hexes gone wrong.
6. THE WITCH’S HEART by Genevieve Gornichec – When a banished witch falls in love with the legendary trickster Loki, she risks the wrath of the gods in this moving, subversive debut novel that reimagines Norse mythology.
7. THE WITCH HAVEN by Sasha Peyton Smith – The Last Magician meets The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy in this thrilling and atmospheric historical fantasy following a young woman who discovers she has magical powers and is thrust into a battle between witches and wizards.
8. WITCH PLEASE by Ann Aguirre – Practical Magic meets Gilmore Girls in this adorable witchy rom-com with: 1) A bisexual virgin baker with a curse, 2) A witch looking to avoid romantic entanglements, and 3) A chemistry between them that causes literal sparks
9. HOUR OF THE WITCH by Chris Bohjalian – A twisting, tightly plotted novel of historical suspense from one of our greatest storytellers, Hour of the Witch is a timely and terrifying story of socially sanctioned brutality and the original American witch hunt.
10. CACKLE by Rachel Harrison – A darkly funny, frightening novel about a young woman learning how to take what she wants from a witch who may be too good to be true, from the author of The Return.
* * * * * *
I love a good witchy book—I mean all year round, but especially in October of course! I just heard about Payback’s A Witch earlier today and I’m so excited to read it soon!
Ely @ Earl Grey Books recently posted…My Favourite Book Settings | Top Ten Tuesday
I love witchy books too. Can’t get enough of them. 🙂
So many witchy books this year! Cackle is new to me, I like the sound of it!
Me too. I’ve seen several really good reviews for it too.
The Ex Hex sounds really good.
Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.
Astilbe recently posted…Bonded by Death by Jared A. Rogers
I think so too. 🙂
The Ex Hex and Cackle both sound like they would be great reads.
In the past I have read Good Omens and Wicked that have witch characters.
Deb Nance at Readerbuzz recently posted…Fabulous Books Set in Fabulous Book-ish Settings
I’ve seen good reviews for both so I’m excited to read them soon. 🙂
Witch Please and The Ex Hex seem to be getting a lot of hype lately. It’s fun to see so many books with a witchy theme! 🙂
I agree. I love witchy reads and can’t get enough of them. 🙂
It’s amazing how many witch books came out this year! I have Cackle, The Book of Magic and The Orphan Witch on my TBR and it wouldn’t take much for me to add most of the others😁
Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy recently posted…Creatures of the Night Book Tag
It does seem like more of them than usual, especially with the witchy rom coms which I’ve not seen much of before. I’m about halfway through The Book of Magic right now and really love it!
I have a spooky season TBR! So far, I’m not doing a great job of sticking to it, but there’s still time. I recently finished The Year Of The Witching and really liked it.
Aj @ Read All The Things! recently posted…Can’t Wait Wednesday: Fall 2021 Book Releases
I really liked that one too!
I’m nearly to the top of my library’s waitlist for Cackle!
Lydia recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Book Settings
I hope you love it. I’ve heard so many good things about it.
Great October list! I’ve been looking at Payback’s a Witch.
Lori Piper recently posted…TTT: Favorite Book Settings
It’s a fun one. 🙂
Even thought I don’t read a lot of “witchy” stories, this looks like a great selection!
Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | Blue Mood Cafe recently posted…No Hiding in Boise by Kim Hooper @KimHooperWrites @Hillatious @DevonSorvari @SWillingWrites @Dreamscapeaudio
I’m planning to read them all so I’m hoping they will be. I’ve read four so far and loved all of them.
Oh I love this list! Payback’s A Witch, The Ex Hex and Witch Please are all on my TBR and I’ll need to check out the rest too 🙂
I’m hoping to read The Ex Hex soon. I loved Payback’s a Witch and Witch Please. Such fun reads. 🙂
I don’t like scary stories so I’m not sure I’d like a witchy read – but I’ve never tried one before and some of these sound interesting! thanks for sharing 🙂
Hope you are having a good week 🙂 It’s a rainy one here!
Mica recently posted…Floral Kimonos, Colourful Tanks and Black Denim With Rebecca Minkoff Love Bags | Weekday Wear Link Up
The witchy rom-coms like Witch Please and The Ex Hex are probably pretty safe choices. They’re not really scary at all. 🙂
Modern witches are my favorite paranormal, but alas, I have only read three of these. All great though
Sam@WLABB recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: I Want to Go to There – Volume 4
I’m really loving all of the witchy rom-coms that are out this year. I had never read one before and they are fast becoming one of my favorite kinds of witchy reads. They nicely offset some of the heavier, creepier ones I usually read.
I love spooky reads this time of year! I love the sound of the one with the Twister reference- that caught my eye- and The Witch Haven sounds fabulous too!
Greg recently posted…Safeguarding
Witchy romances an an underrated gem of a genre, I think- these all sound amazing – and fun ‼️
Witches is a good topic for October. Well done.
My TTT took me around the world to thirteen countries.
The Ex Hex is one that I really want to read!
Sophie Eloy recently posted…#2021AudiobookChallenge third Quarterly update
I’m really excited to read that one. I’ve been enjoying the witchy rom-coms so much this year.
I do love witchy reads. 🙂 I really enjoyed The Ex Hex and Cackle. The other books on your list are all on my TBR pile. I can’t wait to read them.
Literary Feline recently posted…Weekly Mews: An Ordinary Week But With Good Books
I just finally got a copy of The Ex Hex and can’t wait to start it. 🙂