Top Ten Tuesday – 10 Book Quotes That Resonate
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!
This week’s TTT topic is Favorite Book Quotes (these could be quotes from books you love, or bookish quotes in general). I’ve done a few quote posts in the past where I’ve listed my all time favorite quotes, so I’m tweaking the topic a bit. Today I’m sharing quotes from some of my favorite 2020 reads that have really resonated with me.
* * * * *
10 Book Quotes That Resonate
- “To make real friends you have to put yourself out there. Sometimes people will let you down, but you can’t let that stop you. If you get hurt, you just pick yourself up, dust off your feelings, and try again.” ― Kristin Hannah, Firefly Lane
Quotes about friendship always resonate with me anyway, but this one really stuck with me just because it’s so true.
- “Life is too short to be unhappy, to play it safe. To do what is expected of you rather than follow your heart” ― Chanel Cleeton, Next Year in Havana
This is one that I agree with, although I know I’m often guilty of playing things too safe and always doing what’s expected of me.
- “When you don’t know what to do for yourself, do something for somebody else.” ― Katherine Center, How to Walk Away
I love this quote and it has really hit home with me during this pandemic. When I’m feeling a little lost or down and can’t shake the feeling, sometimes doing something for someone else is exactly what I need to get myself back into the right head space.
- “You have to make peace with the past or you can never move into the future,” ― Diane Chamberlain, Big Lies in a Small Town
This has definitely been my experience.
- “An AK-47 in a white hand has more rights than a Black kid with Skittles.” ― Kim Johnson, This Is My America
This quote broke my heart when I read it, but at the same time, it had me nodding my head because it unfortunately just feels so true right now. This quote speaks volumes as to why there is a Black Lives Matter movement.
- “I wanted that November feeling, you know, when you suddenly remember the holidays are coming and your tummy gets all excited and it’s like being seven again.”
― Abbi Waxman, I Was Told It Would Get Easier
This quote jjust made me smile because for me, that November feeling is everything. Although, to be perfectly honest, I start feeling it in October, lol.
- “The thing about mental health was, you couldn’t take a course of antibiotics and be magically healed. Some people’s brains just thought too much or felt too much or hurt too much, and you had to stay on top of that.” ― Talia Hibbert, Take a Hint, Dani Brown
This one really resonated with me as well, especially since so many people are struggling with their mental health even more than usual because of the pandemic.
- “There’s some kind of peace that comes with knowing that for every person who is waiting to be found, there’s someone out there searching.” ― Julie Murphy, Dumplin’
The cynic in me doesn’t want to believe this one, but the romantic in me tells cynical me to shut up and go sit in the corner because this quote is just so lovely to think about and hope it’s true.
- “Relationships are a lot like houses: without a good foundation, they’ll crumble. When a light bulb goes out, you don’t buy a new house, you change the bulb. When the faucet drips, you don’t start mopping the floor before you fix the leak. In other words, no matter how much digging it takes, it’s important to get to the root of a problem.” ― Christina Lauren, The Honey-Don’t List
I think pretty much anyone who has been in a relationship is probably reading this and nodding their head because it’s just so relatable.
- “That was what I’d always loved about reading, what had driven me to write in the first place. That feeling that a new world was being spun like a spiderweb around you and you couldn’t move until the whole thing had revealed itself to you.” ― Emily Henry, Beach Read
You knew I had to include a quote about the power of reading and books, right?
Question: Do any of these quotes resonate with you?
These are great, Suzanne💜
Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | Blue Mood Café recently posted…Vanished by Kendra Elliot
“An AK-47 in a white hand has more rights than a Black kid with Skittles.”
I think that’s a wonderful and very powerful (and true) quote. I haven’t read the book but I’m about to go look it up.
Hanna @ Booking in Heels recently posted…The Books I Have Reread Most Often
It’s definitely a powerful one. It hits me hard every time I read it.
These are all so good and thought provoking. I love the last one about reading in particular!
Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy recently posted…Interview + Giveaway: Robin Kirk Talks About THE HIVE QUEEN
Center is an author I love highlighting as I read.
Sam@wlabb recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Being Bookish
Me too. Her books are so quotable.
There’s definitely something to be said for doing nice things for other people. 🙂
My post .
Lydia recently posted…Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Favourite Things to Do in the Autumn
I agree. 🙂
I love the quotes from Take a Hint and How to Walk Away, because I really relate to those. I’m the type of person who shows love by giving gifts, so the idea of helping someone else when you aren’t sure what to do for yourself definitely resonates. Also, I’ve dealt with mental health issues for years now and it really is a constant thing, even when you’re doing well.
ShootingStarsMag recently posted…Book Review: The Invisible Boy by Alyssa Hollingsworth
Yeah, the mental health one especially resonated with me for that reason.
I loved all these quotes!
Aren’t they great?
A Firefly Lane quote! I loved that book. I need to go back and reread it so I can remember all quotable stuff from it like this.
I loved that book so much!
I’ve never read Dumplin’ but I adore that quote. I’m a total softie so that one just melts my heart. 🙂
Tanya @ Girl Plus Books recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Can I Quote You On That?
Mine too. Definitely gives me warm fuzzies.
I can definitely relate to the idea of a November feeling!
Laura @ Daydreaming Dragons recently posted…5 Ways To Make The Most Out Of Preptober
I love that Katherine Center quote and I agree that it’s very timely.
It really is.
“To make real friends you have to put yourself out there. Sometimes people will let you down, but you can’t let that stop you. If you get hurt, you just pick yourself up, dust off your feelings, and try again.”
I like this a lot.
Deb Nance at Readerbuzz recently posted…Book Quotes to Get Us Through Difficult Times
I do too and it’s just such great advice too.
I love it when a quote really jumps out at you. I love that one from Beach Read!
Greg recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday 222
I do too. 🙂
You found so many amazing quotes. I love these, especially the Katherine Center/How to Walk Away one. Thanks for sharing these!
Really great list of quotes! I haven’t read so many of these books but I now want to bump all of them up my list just so I can get to these quotes in text 😍 Some of these really hit hard!
Dini @ dinipandareads recently posted…#TopTenTuesday: Favourite 2020 Quotes
Right? They really hit you right in the feels.
The cynic in me is sitting down next to your inner cynic in the corner while the Dumplin’ quote just makes me smile!
Love the Dumplln quote and Next Year in Havana quotes. All of these are really good…books are awesome.
They really are. 🙂
Oh, I really enjoyed all of these, but I really adore that Beach Read quote … that sort of perfectly encapsulates how I feel about reading and writing.
Same here. 🙂
I LOVE that How to Walk Away quote. We really need to do more of that as a society. Great picks today.
I agree with you on the Walk Away quote. 🙂
These quotes are amazing Suzanne! And the first one is dead on spot today for a friend of mine!
Sophie recently posted…Out of Love by Jewel E Ann: Blog Tour
I have Big Lies in a Small Town coming up this month, and that quote is one I would agree with. Diane Chamberlain has a way of writing life so perfectly, complexities and all.
A wonderful selection of quotes.
Jade @ Reading with Jade recently posted…Reading Wrap Up | September
Right? I really love her writing.
These are all great! I’m especially hit by the one from This Is My America, but I also love the ones from How to Walk Away, Take A Hint Dani Brown and I Was Told It Would Get Easier!