Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!
This week’s TTT topic is Favorite Book Quotes (these could be quotes from books you love, or bookish quotes in general). I’ve done a few quote posts in the past where I’ve listed my all time favorite quotes, so I’m tweaking the topic a bit. Today I’m sharing quotes from some of my favorite 2020 reads that have really resonated with me.
* * * * *
10 Book Quotes That Resonate
- “To make real friends you have to put yourself out there. Sometimes people will let you down, but you can’t let that stop you. If you get hurt, you just pick yourself up, dust off your feelings, and try again.” ― Kristin Hannah, Firefly Lane
Quotes about friendship always resonate with me anyway, but this one really stuck with me just because it’s so true.
- “Life is too short to be unhappy, to play it safe. To do what is expected of you rather than follow your heart” ― Chanel Cleeton, Next Year in Havana
This is one that I agree with, although I know I’m often guilty of playing things too safe and always doing what’s expected of me.
- “When you don’t know what to do for yourself, do something for somebody else.” ― Katherine Center, How to Walk Away
I love this quote and it has really hit home with me during this pandemic. When I’m feeling a little lost or down and can’t shake the feeling, sometimes doing something for someone else is exactly what I need to get myself back into the right head space.
- “You have to make peace with the past or you can never move into the future,” ― Diane Chamberlain, Big Lies in a Small Town
This has definitely been my experience.
- “An AK-47 in a white hand has more rights than a Black kid with Skittles.” ― Kim Johnson, This Is My America
This quote broke my heart when I read it, but at the same time, it had me nodding my head because it unfortunately just feels so true right now. This quote speaks volumes as to why there is a Black Lives Matter movement.
- “I wanted that November feeling, you know, when you suddenly remember the holidays are coming and your tummy gets all excited and it’s like being seven again.”
― Abbi Waxman, I Was Told It Would Get Easier
This quote jjust made me smile because for me, that November feeling is everything. Although, to be perfectly honest, I start feeling it in October, lol.
- “The thing about mental health was, you couldn’t take a course of antibiotics and be magically healed. Some people’s brains just thought too much or felt too much or hurt too much, and you had to stay on top of that.” ― Talia Hibbert, Take a Hint, Dani Brown
This one really resonated with me as well, especially since so many people are struggling with their mental health even more than usual because of the pandemic.
- “There’s some kind of peace that comes with knowing that for every person who is waiting to be found, there’s someone out there searching.” ― Julie Murphy, Dumplin’
The cynic in me doesn’t want to believe this one, but the romantic in me tells cynical me to shut up and go sit in the corner because this quote is just so lovely to think about and hope it’s true.
- “Relationships are a lot like houses: without a good foundation, they’ll crumble. When a light bulb goes out, you don’t buy a new house, you change the bulb. When the faucet drips, you don’t start mopping the floor before you fix the leak. In other words, no matter how much digging it takes, it’s important to get to the root of a problem.” ― Christina Lauren, The Honey-Don’t List
I think pretty much anyone who has been in a relationship is probably reading this and nodding their head because it’s just so relatable.
- “That was what I’d always loved about reading, what had driven me to write in the first place. That feeling that a new world was being spun like a spiderweb around you and you couldn’t move until the whole thing had revealed itself to you.” ― Emily Henry, Beach Read
You knew I had to include a quote about the power of reading and books, right?
Question: Do any of these quotes resonate with you?