Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!
This week’s TTT topic is Bookish Memories (Share stories of your reading life as a child, events you’ve gone to, books that made an impression on you, noteworthy experiences with books, authors you’ve met, etc. Reminisce with me!). I’ve never attended a bookish event or met an author so I decided to take a stroll down memory lane and share a few highlights of my bookish life.
(My post is also a little shout-out to Friends since I wrote all of my memories like they’re episode titles from the show.)
10 Bookish Episodes from My Life
- The one where my Dad taught me how to read using Little Golden Books. This will always be one of my favorite childhood memories.
- The one where I cried my eyes out because I thought I had lost a library book (Bambi by Felix Salten) and therefore would never be allowed to check out books from my elementary school library again. So traumatizing!
- The one where getting to go to the Scholastic Book Fair when it came to my school was like Christmas. So many books!
- The one where I felt so grown up in middle school because I was allowed to read To Kill a Mockingbird, which was banned in a lot of schools.
- The one where, as a young teen, I used to hide in my grandmother’s house so I could secretly read the steamy historical romance novels I had pilfered from her bedroom.
- The one where I took so many literature classes for “fun” in college that I ended up adding English as a Double Major.
- The one where I had such an addiction to collecting books that I convinced my husband to convert our formal living room, which never got used, into a home office with wall to wall built in bookshelves. My sanctuary.
- The one where I felt the need to find more people to share my love of books with so I started a book blog. 😊
- The one where I read the entire Harry Potter series aloud to my son because I wanted to foster a love of reading in him at a young age.
- The one where I realized that one of my bffs loves to read as much as I do, so I invited her to guest post on my blog. Hi Sharon! 😊