Top Ten Tuesday – Backlist Hall of Shame: 10 Books I’ve Said I’m Dying to Read for Years (but still haven’t)

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.  Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!

This week’s TTT topic is Backlist Books I Want to Read.  I tweaked the topic a bit because I want to talk about those books that I’m embarrassed are still on my backlist because I’ve been saying for years now that I want to read all of them.  I’ve lost track of how many backlist/TBR reading challenges I’ve put these titles on and yet somehow I still haven’t read them.  Hell, most of you who have been following me since my earliest blogging days are probably shaking your heads and laughing that these books are still on my TBR, and I’m laughing/cringing right alongside you, lol.

The shame is real this time though and I’m determined to start putting a dent in this list because I really do want to read them all.  Even if I only read one a month or so, my goal is that these ten books will finally be off my TBR by the end of 2019.  For those who have read these, which one do you think I should start with?  I’m leaning towards Tell Me Three Things or Lily and the Octopus, mainly because they’re standalones.

* * * * *

10 Books I’ve Said I’m Dying to Read for Years (but still haven’t)

TELL ME THREE THINGS by Julie Buxbaum

LILY AND THE OCTOPUS by Steven Rowley

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS by Agatha Christie

AND I DARKEN by Kiersten White

HUNTED by Meagan Spooner

REBEL OF THE SANDS by Alwyn Hamilton

THE CROWN’S GAME by Evelyn Skye

THREE DARK CROWNS by Kendare Blake

THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas

INK AND BONE by Rachel Caine

* * * * *

What are some books from your backlist that you’ve been saying for years that you’re dying to read?

58 replies
  1. ShootingStarsMag
    ShootingStarsMag says:

Oh gosh, there are so many books (especially series) that I said I want to read and just haven’t had time to get to. I have read Murder on the Orient Express and Hunted though – the first was a good one, and the second wasn’t my most favorite, but it’s not too bad.

-Lauren
    ShootingStarsMag recently posted…I Am a Wonder Woman

• Suzanne
      Suzanne says:

I’m glad to hear this about both of these books, especially Tell Me Three Things since I now have the audio book and plan to listen to that later this week.

2. Tanya @ Girl Plus Books
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books says:

I listened to the audio book of Tell Me Three Things last year and enjoyed it so much. It dealt a lot with family relationships and grief and of course there was some romance. 🙂 I liked it so much I ended up buying a physical copy for my bookshelf. The Crown’s Game was entertaining – and, coincidentally, another audio book. Unfortunately the reviews for the follow-up were lukewarm so I haven’t read that one yet.
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: The Backlist Edition

3. Jennifer Tar Heel Reader
    Jennifer Tar Heel Reader says:

I have several of these on my list, too, and have for such a long time. Like you, I really want to read them! Like with Lily and the Octopus, the author has a new book coming out, and I have the ARC, so I’m sure I’ll get to the newer one first. I like your plan of one book a month.
    Jennifer Tar Heel Reader recently posted…The Splendor Before the Dark by Margaret George #bookreview #tarheelreader #thrsplendor #margaretgeorge @berkleypub #thesplendorbeforethedark #blogtour

4. Annemieke
    Annemieke says:

I personally don’t think you are missing out with Throne of Glass and Inke and Bone but that is my unpopular opinion haha.

I really enjoyed Rebel of the Sands but completely lost interest in the sequels.

5. Ro
    Ro says:

We read so much that the lists just seem to keep growing and growing and growing, right?(lol) I’ve murder on the Orient Express, but never had the opportunity to read it either. Thanks to you, i’m adding it to the list too!(lol) Hugs and happy Saturday! RO
    Ro recently posted…MIND GAMES & SOME OTHER STUFF

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!