Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!
This week’s TTT topic is Reasons Why I Love Reading. I feel like I’ve done this topic before but couldn’t find a post for it anywhere on the blog. Hopefully I’m not rehashing something I’ve already talked about, haha.
* * * * *
Reasons Why I Read
1. I read to escape from whatever is causing me stress. This became especially important during the pandemic when everyday became nothing but stress.
2. I read to satisfy my wanderlust. I love to read novels set in my favorite travel destinations and to discover new ones.
3. I read to learn new things. This is why I’m so drawn to historical fiction and why I have tried to read more nonfiction than usual this year. I think it’s good to always be learning new things and reading is an enjoyable way to accomplish that.
4. I read to help me consider things from another perspective. I like when books challenge my usual way of thinking about something.
5. I read for the nostalgia factor. I love to revisit old favorites from my childhood. I think this is why I’m so drawn to fairytale retellings. It’s like revisiting an old friend but with a twist.
6. I read to avoid potentially awkward social interactions.
7. I read to live vicariously through fictional characters and have experiences I’ll probably never have in my own life.
8. I read to connect with my child. I make a point to read whatever my son is reading for school so that we can talk about it together.
9. I read because it’s like exercise for my brain. A book leaves me with food for thought in a way that most movies and TV shows just don’t.
10. I read to relax and wind down at night. Nothing helps me fall asleep more consistently than reading. (Well, unless I’m reading a book I can’t put down, haha!)
* * * * * *