Top Ten Tuesday – Ten of My Favorite Reads from 2020
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!
This week’s TTT topic is Favorite Books of 2020. It was hard to pick just ten favorite books because as bad as 2020 was overall, it was actually a really great reading year for me. As of the moment I’m sitting here drafting this post, I’ve read 172 books this year, the most I’ve ever read, and looking through my Goodreads shelves, most of those reads were 3 stars and above so yay! I did have more DNFs than ever before, which I also consider a win because I’m finally getting better at just saying no to books that aren’t working for me. All of that said, I’m sharing 14 of my favorite reads from this year. All of the books below are a combination of 2020 releases and older releases since one of my big goals this year was to read more of the older books that have been sitting neglected on my bookshelves. I did pretty well with that goal as well and will have a second half of 2020 Beat the Backlist wrap up coming later this week to share all of the older books I’ve read in 2020.
Anyway, back to my favorites of the year…I rated all of these 4.5 or 5 stars and as you can see, I had winners from a variety of genres. Light, fluffy, and romantic books were my favorites overall, but I still had some darker and more atmospheric reads in there too. I’d highly recommend any of these titles to someone looking for a read they won’t be able to put down.
* * * * *
My Favorite Reads from 2020
(In no particular order)
1. THIS IS MY AMERICA by Kim Johnson – most powerful book I read this year.
2. BEACH READ by Emily Henry – the book whose cover made me think it would be a light and fluffy read but ended up being so much more.
3. BLACKTOP WASTELAND by S.A. Cosby – My favorite crime novel of the year. It’s so action-packed that it reads like The Fast and the Furious.
4. CRAZY STUPID BROMANCE by Lyssa Kay Adams – I went back and forth trying to decide which Bromance book was my favorite this year since I also read Undercover Bromance and loved them both. Going with this one mainly because of Beefcake the cat, haha.
5. TAKE A HINT, DANI BROWN by Talia Hibbert – This one wins for most adorable couple. I read this months ago and still smile every time I think about them.
6. JUST OUR LUCK by Julia Walton – A heartwarming coming of age story about overcoming anxiety and finding friendship and love. This was one of my final reads of 2020 and it was just such a lovely note to end the year on.
7. THE LIONS OF FIFTH AVENUE by Fiona Davis – Fiona Davis’ novels never disappoint because they combine two of my favorite things, historical fiction and NYC iconic buildings. This one features the New York Public LIbrary and a fantastic mystery to boot.
8. MAGIC LESSONS by Alice Hoffman – It’s Alice Hoffman and it’s a prequel to Practical Magic that shows the origins of the Owens bloodline and the infamous curse. What else do I need to say? It’s glorious!
9. THE ONCE AND FUTURE WITCHES by Alix E. Harrow – While nothing can top Alice Hoffman’s witchy series (see above), my second favorite witchy read of 2020 was this gorgeous and atmospheric read by Alix E. Harrow. I also read and loved her book Ten Thousand Doors of January this year and look forward to reading more from her.
10. ONE DAY IN DECEMBER by Josie Silver – This was actually one of my very first reads of the year and the beautiful and emotional story has just stuck with me all the way through 2020.
11. THE SIMPLE WILD by K.A. Tucker – The older book that I could kick my own butt for not reading it sooner. By far, my favorite romance of the year. I loved it so much that the sequel and the holiday novella are queued up on my kindle now to read in January.
12. SORCERY OF THORNS by Margaret Rogerson – Another gorgeous story that I could kick my butt for ignoring for so long. This is a fantasy novel that actually lives up to all of the hype, plus it’s set in libraries and features magical books. What’s not to love? Another huge bonus? It’s a standalone, which is heaven for people like me who struggle with series.
13. THE SUN DOWN MOTEL by Simone St. James – I don’t usually read books classified as horror but something about this one just called to me and I’m so glad I answered the call. It is the creepiest, most atmospheric book I read all year and I loved every page of it. It was my first time reading Simone St. James and I loved it so much that I recently picked up a copy of The Broken Girls so that I can experience more of her gorgeous writing.
14. WHAT YOU WISH FOR by Katherine Center – This is my third book from Katherine Center and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite contemporary authors. I have fallen in love with the characters in every book so far, especially with the protagonist in this book, who is a school librarian.
* * * * *
I’ve read a couple of these and really enjoyed them! Beach Read was a favourite of mine this year, and Dani Brown is on my TBR with a while.
Dani Brown was such a fun read for me. I hope you love it!
Great list! I agree, even if everything else was garbage, I could rely on books this year! The Simple Wild made my list, too! One Day in December was one of my favorites from last year.
Right? I don’t think I would have coped with 2020 half as well if not for books.
How great that, despite the circumstances, you had such a good reading year. I really loved both the Simple Wild and One Day in December. Both were real favorites at the time I read them (both in 2018).
Tanya @ Girl Plus Books recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books of 2020
I can’t wait to continue The Simple Wild series. That first book was just everything I hoped it would be and more.
I really ought to read This Is My America sometime soon.
Lydia recently posted…Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: Books That Would Make Great Gifts
It’s a good one. I wish it had gotten more attention this year than it did.
Amazing list, Suzanne! We only have one book in common, but there are a few on here I’m dying to read, especially Blacktop Wasteland. I’m kicking myself for not getting to it!
Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy recently posted…Best Books of 2020
I hope it’s a great read for you when you get to it!
Great year! The Sun Down Motel probably should have made my list, too, but I was already cheating at 21 books. Haha.
Jennifer | Book Den recently posted…Favorite Books of 2020
It’s exactly as you said — it was a crappy year but amazing for the books! I’m also quite proud I managed to DNF this year 😊
Great list! Beach Read and Dani Brown are two books that I didn’t end up getting to this year and I’m proper annoyed at myself for pushing them off 😂 Heard grand things about both and have seen them on a couple of lists so far! Sorcery of Thorns and The Simple Wild are two of my all-time faves though so I’m glad to hear you enjoyed them too!
Dini @ dinipandareads recently posted…#TopTenTuesday: Favourite 2020 Reads!
Sorcery of Thorns was amazing! That’s one I was definitely kicking myself for putting off for so long.
Yay for so many new favourites! I really want to read Beach Read. I did start A Sorcery of Thorns so I just need to get around to picking it up once again so I can fall in love too! Ooh I also got get a life chloe brown for Christmas so I am looking forward to reading and starting that series!
Olivia Roach recently posted…Falling Fast [Book Series Review]
Oh yay, I hope you love meeting the Brown sisters. I’ve had so much fun with that series. I adored both Chloe and Dani and am looking forward to meeting Eve when the newest book comes out in 2021.
OOoo I do need to catch up with Alix E Harrow.. I have not quite got round to either Ten Thousand Doors or The Once and Future Witches! These were my favourite reads of 2020 if you wanted to check them out! Have a Happy New Year!
Michael @ The Book Lover’s Sanctuary recently posted…Book Review: The House In The Cerulean Sea, T. J. Klune
I hope you enjoy her books when you get to them. I think her writing is so gorgeous.
I had a billion DNFs, but like you, read many more fantastic books. I love seeing Just Our Luck on this list. I know it just came out today, but I hope a lot of people start buzzing about it.
Sam@wlabb recently posted…Best of 2020: Favorite Adult Books
I hope so too. It deserves all the hype it can get.
Beach Read and Sorcery of Thorns made my list as well 🙂 Also, I’m really looking forward to reading The Simple Wild and One Day In December. Already wishing you a Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you too, Lindsey!
Great post!!! I loved Get A Life, Chloe Brown
Steph@paigesofbooks recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday- Top Ten reads of 2020!
Such a great read!
Fantastic list, Suzanne💜 Most of these are on my shelf to read or I’ve read them.
Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | Blue Mood Café recently posted…Best of 2020 – Top 12 Books
I hope you love them all!
Beach Read made my favorites list this year, too. And I also really enjoyed What You Wish For. Great list of books! 🙂
Lark recently posted…My Favorite Reads of 2020!
Beach Read was so good. I’m so glad she has a new book coming out this year. 🙂
The Sun Down Motel made my list for this year, too. I also loved that Katherine Center book. And The Simple Wild made my 2019 list. You read some great books this year!
Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Twelve of My Favorite Reads of 2020
The Sun Down Motel was so good!
I meant to read Sorcery of Thorns this year but didn’t get around to it.
Jo recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #296
It’s so good. I hope you end up loving it as much as I did.
I love seeing your choices. I have read 4 and own or plan to read many of the rest.
Anne – Books of My Heart recently posted…Top 10 Books I’ve Read in 2020
I hope they are all great reads for you. 🙂
Great list! The Once and Future Witches made my list this week, too, and I really enjoyed Take a Hint, Dani Brown and Beach Read. I need to cross Sorcery of Thorns off my TBR!
Jess @ Jessticulates recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday | Best books of 2020!
Sorcery of Thorns really blew me away. I hope it’s an amazing read for you too!
Sorcery of Thorns, The Sun Down Motel, Take a Hint …they are just amazing books! And I plan on reading Broken Girsl too.
Sophie recently posted…#BestReadsOf2020 : Favorite new series
Hopefully we’ll both love Broken Girls. My sister loved it and we usually have similar tastes so I have high hopes for it. 🙂
What a great reading year you had, Suzanne! You really did read some amazing books, which makes me excited for what I have to look forward to! Several are on my wish list or TBR shelves. I hope you have another great reading year in 2021–but without all the bad stuff.
Haha, right? I think we’ve all had more than our fair share of bad stuff in 2020.
Honestly, hooray for saying no to books that just aren’t clicking with you! That’s something I worked on this year, too, and it’s been very freeing. One Day in December has been sitting for my shelf far too long, though, and I really need to get around to it because it sounds brilliant.
It really has been freeing and I hope I’ll continue to do it in the future. Life is too short to waste time on books that just aren’t working for me.
I own both This Is My America and Beach Read – hopefully I can read them soon!!!
ShootingStarsMag recently posted…Best of 2020: 13 Books I Loved
I hope you enjoy them both! I would say Beach Read was really in my top 5 favorites of the year.
My reading was down this year but even so there were a lot of good books. Blacktop and the Harrow book look fabulous.
Greg recently posted…Top Ten Books of 2020
Happy New Year to you too, Greg!
I loved THE SUN-DOWN MOTEL, too. It was such a creepy-fun read! The new Center book and several of these others are on my TBR list. Hopefully, I’ll get to them in 2021. Glad you enjoyed all these.
Susan (Bloggin’ ’bout Books) recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: 2020 Top Ten Favorite Reads
I loved the Sun Down Motel! It was my first time reading anything by that author so I’m excited to read more of her books.
What a fascinating list – I loved Once and Future Witches, too. But I love the sound of Sorcery of Thorns – set in a library and you are kicking yourself for not having picked it up sooner?? I need to put it on my TBR list! Thank you for sharing, Suzanne:))
I’d love to hear what you think of Sorcery of Thorns. That one really exceeded my expectations.
Great list! Beach Read is on my TBR list, and I can’t wait to read it 🙂 Happy New Year!
Alycia recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Standout Books of 2020
Happy New Year, Alycia! I hope you love Beach Read when you get to it. 🙂
Congrats on reading 172 books! One of my goals for this year is to get better at DNFing. I have too many books to force myself through bad ones. Happy 2021!
Aj @ Read All The Things! recently posted…Discussion: Do These Popular Books Deserve The Hype?
Happy 2021 to you too, AJ!
Happy new year! I didn’t read a lot this year, it really took a nosedive. However, my favorite from the year was the Warprize series by Elizabeth Vaughan.
Kristin recently posted…The Darkest Year
Happy New Year, Kristin!
I haven’t read any of these but have many of them on my TBR so good to know you liked them so much.
Hena Tayeb recently posted…Ski Break on Plattekill Mountain
I hope you enjoy them all as much as I did! 🙂