Top Ten Tuesday – 10 Non-Bookish Interests I Have
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Top Ten Tuesday has been one of my favorite memes ever since I started blogging, so huge thanks to Jana for taking over the hosting duties!
This week’s TTT topic is actually not about books at all. It’s more of a get to know the blogger post in that we’re sharing non-bookish interests that we have. I don’t know that there are any big surprises here for anyone who has followed my blog for a while, but it’s a pretty accurate picture of what fills my time when I’m not reading, blogging or working.
* * * * *
10 Non-Bookish Interests I Have
- Theater. I have such a passion for the theater, Broadway musicals in particular, so it has killed me this year to not be able to catch any shows because of COVID. Favorite shows and plays I’ve seen: Hamilton, Wicked, Springsteen on Broadway, Les Miserables, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Lion King.
- Disney. And I mean all things Disney – the films, the characters, the theme parks, collecting stuffed animals, mugs, and enamel pins, just to name a few. I also have a major soft spot for Eeyore that goes back to when I was a small child.
- Travel. This is a relatively new (i.e. in the last 10 years) passion for me. I used to never go anywhere, but once I caught the travel bug, I now want to go EVERYWHERE. This is another passion that has taken a hit because of the pandemic.
- Hiking/Walking. I used to do this a lot more often before I had a kid, but now that he’s older, I’d like to get back to it. There’s nothing like a hike on a scenic trail. So peaceful and such great exercise.
- Politics. I will freely admit that I’m completely burned out on this topic right now, but in normal times, when it doesn’t feel like the soul of our nation is on the line, I tend to be quite the political junkie. 2016-2020 may have killed this interest for the rest of my life, but we’ll see, lol.
- Puzzles. I put a jigsaw puzzle in my graphic but honestly I love all puzzles. Jigsaw, crossword, logic puzzles, Sudoku, Rubik’s Cubes, etc.
- Video Games. And honestly, this should really just say video game, singular, because it’s Mario Kart Tour on my iPhone that I’ve been completely obsessed with the past few months. It takes me back to the games I played when I was a kid and I’m really loving the sense of nostalgia right now.
- Baking. I can’t really say that I like to cook much overall, but man, I do love to bake a good dessert. I’m all about the cookies, pies, and cakes. 🙂
- Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus & Chill. I’ve found myself less and less willing to turn on the TV in recent months. There’s nothing but bad news and political ads everywhere I turn, so I’ve been regularly turning to my entertainment apps and watching anything and everything that will let me escape reality for a few hours. The past weekend I fell down a Schitts Creek rabbit hole and devoured 4 seasons of the show. If you haven’t seen it, it is hilarious!
- Animals. Whether it’s watching cute animal vids that put a smile on my face or watching my own furry family members engage in their silly antics, most animals are a constant source of joy for me. Dogs, cats, and all sorts of domesticated animals of course, but then I also love giraffes, elephants, bears, and all of the big cats. I will pass on the insects and reptiles though.
Well, that’s it for me. Do we share any non-bookish interests?
God yes to politics. And yes to travel too – I am hoping I can do some travel within Australia soon. It’s funny I always thought I’d have enough time to travel within Australia, and even that got taken away during COVID-19.
We share a lot! Traveling, hiking, and puzzles! I’m a total Disney lover, too! And I’m really glad we have all the streaming services, too, because there has been hardly anything to watch on regular tv!
Angela recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Non-Bookish Hobbies
I love this topic and now I wish I’d done it 😁 Big yes to theater for me too. I remember checking out musical theater records at the library (now I’m feeling old!) when I was pretty young, so I got the bug early!
Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy recently posted…14 Adult Science Fiction Books to Read in 2021 #SciFiMonth
I *love* musical theater and try to catch as many touring shows as possible. Wicked is one of my all-time faves. But Phantom will always be my #1. 🙂
Tanya @ Girl Plus Books recently posted…The Sunday Post #228 | November 1, 2020
Man, I seem to be the only person who loves cooking and hates baking! Haha. I also love Disney, but am not big on the parks because I don’t really travel and have no real interest in going to them. x.x I love that people love them though!
Also, I’m going to need a release for streaming of Wicked like they did with Hamilton, STAT! It would really help me stay sane, haha. We don’t get a lot of big shows through my area (Minnesota) but I did get to see Wicked once.
My post is here, if you’d like to come visit: https://elleyotter.com/2020/11/03/ttt-non-bookish-hobbies/ 😉
I love hiking, walking, and puzzles, too.
Lydia recently posted…Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge: How I Decide What to Read Next
I’ve definitely gotten more into travel over the last six or so years! We also share a love of Broadway musicals, and theatre in general. It’s the best, and I miss seeing shows live for sure.
Another hobby/interest for me would be dancing – tap and hip hop.
ShootingStarsMag recently posted…Stocking Stuffer Gifts: East Grove Studio (Honor the Book. Celebrate the Author.)
Same on baking. Regular cooking is just tedious, but baking is FUN. Cookies are my favorite thing to bake 🙂
I’m not a political junkie at all and I am so, SO over this crazy election. Ugh. I’ve never experienced a more divisive one. People are acting like absolute lunatics! I’m just praying for peace for our poor, bruised nation.
Susan (Bloggin’ ’bout Books) recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Hist-Fic Picks for 2021
Boy do we have a lot of common interests! I’m a puzzler, used to hold a job related to politics (yes, right now I don’t miss it), love traveling, walking, playing video games and binge watching stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and the theater. I used to live in Manhattan and went to do many performances I can’t list them. SO jealous you got to see Hamilton, though I watched it on Disney+ as soon as it showed up…twice!
Obviously, this is a wonderful list💜
Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | Blue Mood Café recently posted…The Nothing Man by Catherine Ryan Howard @cathryanhoward @BlackstoneAudio @AlanaKCollins #TheNothingMan
I totally get why you’re burnt out on politics right now. I think a lot of us are. I’m using puzzles to help with that.
Deanna @ A Novel Glimpse recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Celebrity Memoirs Worth Reading
I also love travelling, Disney and animals! Oh and musical theater as well, though I haven’t seen that many and mostly just listen to soundtracks 🙂
Puzzles are fun. I get to do the ones in the paper now that I am home. I like the theater too. I miss my subscription.
Sam@wlabb recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: When I’m Not Reading…
I love theatre so much, I’ve definitely missed it over the past few months. Some theatres were able to reopen for performances with COVID-measures in place here and I did get to go to a show last month which was amazing, but everything’s closing back up again as England goes back into lockdown. I love travelling so much, definitely cannot wait till we’re able to do it again. I’m also a big Disney fan. I’ve also found myself falling back a lot on streaming services over the past few months, don’t know what I would have done without them.
Jo recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #288
We have a lot in common! LOL i’m very thankful I have a 4-year-old daughter so now I can keep up my Disney obsession!
I libe traveling, Disney, hiking and animals too! Politics …hmm not today!
Sophie recently posted…New favorite authors I discovered this year. Top 5 Tuesday 11/03/2020
We sound very much alike! I love traveling, puzzles, games and Netflix. I LOVE the theater, it’s what I miss most during this lockdown and I LOVE animals!!
This was such a cool post, maybe I’ll do it one day 🙂
Esther @BiteIntoBooks recently posted…Review: Anxious People